Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:50:14 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        Michael Bryan <fbsd-secure@ursine.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> I agree that there is need for improvement. Let's just see what the
> other OS's security people are doing about the recent ftpd-issue:
>
> NetBSD:
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/security/advisories/NetBSD-SA2000
> -018.txt.asc
> OpenBSD:
> ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/2.8/common/025_glob.patch
> FreeBSD: Absolutely nothing

I'm pretty sure that's complete and utter bollocks, unless I'm
misunderstanding the issue, or thinking of another ftpd-issue.  Go visit
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/libexec/ftpd/popen.c>; and
see for yourself.  As far as I can see this issue has been fixed in
-current, 4-stable, *AND* 3-stable.

> It certainly is starting to irritate people running
> 4.2-Release.

Well if you want the latest security fixes you shouldn't be running a
-release anyway, that's that the -stable branch is for.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org