Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:38:51 -0400
From:      "Henke, Adrian" <Adrian.Henke@vh1.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   a question regarding printer configuration

My apologies for the lengthy explanation. Please consider these issues, as I
tried to be thorough!

Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try to follow the instructions listed in
the FreeBSD handbook (as well as numerous other resources), I can't seem to
get my Epson Action Laser 1400 parallel printer working properly.  But I
refuse to give up!  I understand that my issues may be difficult to consider
without actually looking at my particular machine; nonetheless, I hope that
this is not an
inappropriate forum to ask for technical advice.

First, let's say that I configured all of the settings as stated in the
tutorial - the shell
script in printcap, enabling ghostscript, etc.  Ghostscript is indeed
installed, and
doesn't seem to be the source of trouble (at least not that I can tell).  As
an aside, it
would make sense for me to ask a question here which plagues me about
scripts
generally:  To I need to chmod 555 each script (not necessarily in printcap,
but
generally) in order to make it executable?  The handbook seems to imply this
in
Chapter 7 (Printing), but I haven't seen reference to it in any other
documentation.

Additionally, regardless of the script I place in say, lpfilter or hpif, I
can't seem to
get the "staircase effect" to cease and create a full page of text when I
run lptest >
/dev/lpt0.  I also tried installing and making executable the lpfilter
script from the
cdrom (as described in Ch. 16 of The Complete FreeBSD), which worked OK
until
I tried to configure the spooler.  This puzzles me because it seems that the
script
itself is intended for PostScript printers, and I do not believe that mine
provides
native support of that (no mention of it in the printer's documentation)!

However the main problem, I believe, lies within the spooler.  Regardless of

whether or not there is a print job in the queue, I get two warning/error
messages
which say "Warning: lp is down: printing disabled" and "Warning: no daemon
present" when I run lpq.  In addition, the spooling error log file
consistently reads
something to the effect of  "could not execv" followed by what I think is
the
directory of the lp daemon.  Could I have corrupted the actual binary?

The Epson Action Laser 1400's documentation claims that HP LaserJet 4P
drivers
should work with it if Epson-specific drivers are unavailable.  Therefore I
enabled
the LaserJet4 drivers in the Ghostscript configuration.  However when I
tried to
print out a relatively elaborate piece of text (like an html page from the
FreeBSD
handbook from within KDE), I seem to have printed a Qt format header with
several pages of legible but nonsensical text following.  Of course, this
was before
I started experiencing the error messages mentioned above.  Now I simply
can't
print anything at all unless its directly from lptest > /dev/lpt0.  Any
relation there?

Issuing the lptest 20 5 | lpr command produces no results, which seems to
coincide
with my mysterious missing daemon.

If there is ANYTHING that you might be able to tell me regarding this main
issue
or any of the more peripheral issues I mentioned, I would undoubtedly be
better off
than I am right now!  Any insights would be well recieved, just don't tell
me to
forget it and reinstall Windows!!!  :)

Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,