Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 13:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gateway local net over PPP

Hello!

I've seen this question too many times, but I have yet to find a
*definintive* answer.

How do I link a private LAN to the Internet over a PPP connection?

The goal of this inquiry is twofold:

1)  To get it working :-)
2)  To document the process for inclusion in the Handbook or whatever.

Here is the situation:

A)  I've set up a small 10BaseT network here between my 486 laptop
running DOS and/or OS/2 (and in the future a Win95 P166) to my FreeBSD
box.  I can talk to the laptop just fine (telnet, ftp, etc).  The network
uses the 10.0.0.x block.

B)  I currently dial up my ISP using iijppp.  That works fine.  FWIW, I'm
dialing into a Cisco terminal server.

C)  I have a NE2000 Ethernet card.

Possibilities:

1)  Run a caching server such as squid or harvest.  This is no good; I
need outbound telnet too.

2)  Run SOCKS.  No good; I don't know how to reconfigure the Novell Lan
Workplace tcp/ip clients to use the socks server.  (If someone knows how
to do this I'm listening!! -- or perhaps know SOCKSified Windows clients)
Anyone have a socks5.conf I can steal?

3)  Run a firewall.  Trying that now, it doesn't look like the firewall
will proxy or perform the necessary conversions to get the replies back.

Thoughts?