Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:12:03 -0900 (AKST)
From:      pstern <pstern@ptialaska.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.2 problems

I have been a subscriber to FreeBSD since the 2.X versions. I have
recently run into problems with trying to do a fresh install of 4.2.
Begining with 4.1 the preconfigured window managers (I prefer fvwm2) have
been very poor. Now with 4.2 and XFree86 4.01 I cannot even get a working
installation of X.

There are no obvious errors during the install but the XF86Setup doesn't
work. I cannot configure my mouse the A command does nothing. The
resulting xf86config aborts because of font problems.

I just low level formatted my drive and did a fresh install of 4.1 with
XFree86 3.36 and it installed without a problem.

motherboard Intel VX440 ppro 200 with over drive to 333.
Matrox Millenium I 8mb
Adaptec 2940AU
Intel Pro100b
Creative Lsbs sound blaster.
Toshiba Atapi cdrom
101 keyboard
Logitech 3 button ps2

I am concerned that not enough time is being spent on the Xfree86 software
install or the supplied window manager configurations.

I did try, under the 4.2 install, the port for Xfree86-4.0.1 and
although the make and install seemed okay, Xfree would not run. It
complained about multiple configuration files missing. So while 4.2
installs as text based, I am unable to get X running.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you,

peter