Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:43:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ean Kingston" <ean@hedron.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Size of FreeBSD

> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:04:11AM -0800, Mark Goodell wrote:
>> Could you please tell me how big FreeBSD is, in terms
>> of both (1) the bare minimum needed to run
>> applications and (2) the typical installation.  How
>> many 1.44MB diskettes, for example.
>
> Isn't this information available on the website?

It is to some degree.

The floppy installer requires 2 1.44MB floppies and performs a network
install. See the handbook for more details on this.

The base system, fully installed is around 250MB. This does not include
source, ports, or X11 (the GUI). You can trim that down quite a bit by
removing development tools, examples, man pages, ... BUT I don't know of
any documentation on exactly how to do it.

A typical desktop install is going to use between 2 and 8 GB depending on
what you install. It can also get much bigger (again depending on what you
want installed).

I personally have had a 4.x system running as a firewall on a single 540MB
hard drive. It included proxies for e-mail, http, and dns (inbound and
outbound) as well as local logging of ipfw and natd. I stripped the base
OS down to about 80MB on that system.

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org