Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 17:46:16 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        bowden@cs.odu.edu (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

> I think you're wrong here.  NT is convoluted and painfull.  It's as bad
> as UNIX in some ways.  However, it will be microsloth's only os in about
> three years.  I think we use what we're comfortable with.  If we had all

I doubt that very much, I wasn't talking about NT I was talking about
Windows and I think that'll be with us for a very long time. Hell, 5
years ago my father wouldn't go near a computer, he raves about his
Win95 box all the time now! When I took my unix box home at christmas
he wondered what the hell it was, it depends what you need to do, unix
is not for everyone. Windows really is a switch it on and use it system
in the main which is why non-computer literate folks find it accessible.

NT is not Windows, it's a "real" OS and the admin overhead that goes with
a real OS is embodied in it.

> started on UNIX, DOS/Windows would be unknown territory, and the
> 'clueless' user wouldn't go near it.  I think we should all have been
> weened on UNIX anyway.

I was weened on Unix but I'm not *that* old, still only 28, windows didn't
even exist at the time :-) Well actually, I was weened on rather more
basic systems, like the old Commodore PET and UK folks will remember the
old BBC computer but Unix was my first real OS.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155