Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 22:41:47 -2800 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        JSINNOTT@POMONA.EDU (JOHN)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: Shutdown MSGS

JOHN wrote...
> Is this sequence of numbers (the number of blocks that still need to be flushed)
> - is this sequence SUPPOSED to countdown - for instance - my machine says
> something like syncing disks... 6 6 6 6 6
> then it shuts down.
>
> John

Normally, it does.  I have seen repeated digits, like this.  If your
system is happy when it reboots, then there wasn't a problem.  Once the
buffers have been flushed, the disk is 'synced' which sets the clean flag
in the super-block.  That doesn't happen until AFTER the cache is flushed.
If the clean flag isn't set on boot-up, the boot process runs fsck (and
complains) in order to clean up the disk.

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key