Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:16:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Locutus of Borg <ubushj02@mcl.ucsb.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5

Please wrap your lines at about 70 characters.  Thanks.

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Locutus of Borg wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 2.1.5, and I can't find the GNU "info" files for
> anything.  Specifically, I'm trying to find the info files for gmake,
> gcc and g++.  I checked the CDROM and they just plain aren't there.
> Where are they?????????

In the 'info' distribution, next to 'bin' in the usual places.

> ALSO:  How much trouble will I get myself into if I download the latest
> gcc from the GNU archive.  Does the 6M file come with source, so I can
> build it under FreeBSD?  Will the latest gcc (2.7.2.1) contain all the
> info files?  What if I ever need to build a new kernel - will gcc
> 2.7.2.1 work OK?

A lot.  :(  If you need 2.7.2.1, upgrade to 2.2-GAMMA or -RELEASE when it
comes out.

> And finally:  There are a ton of libraries in /usr/lib that I have no
> idea what they are for.  Is there any documentation on the libraries
> that are installed there with FreeBSD, and what functions they contain?
> I don't even know what applications or packages put in there, so I can't
> go to a specific program's documentation to find this out...

The source is the documentation, I guess .... :-/  Unless something is
stuck into the manpages...

> Can you tell I'm a UNIX newbie?

Yes :)