Date:      4 Aug 2002 00:39:19 -0000
From:      vladimir@math.uic.edu
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        vladimir@math.uic.edu
Subject:   PPP weirdness

I have a 4.6-STABLE machine which has an external modem (USR Sportster)
attached to a serial port.    I have not been able to get any answer
from this modem using PPP.    I can connect to a modem via
cu -l /dev/cuaa0 115200
and obtain responces from the modem to AT commands
However, if I had no success trying to use PPP to connect to the modem:
I start ppp, then set the device (set device /dev/cuaa0) and issue
a "term" command.   Typing at&f, at&e1 etc. produces no answer from
the modem, although I can see the lights on the modem flicker.
I can also dial from inside ppp's term, but never get any result
codes back from the modem.  Any idea why this could be happening?

Many thanks,
	Vladimir