Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:25:48 +0100
From:      "Mikkel C. Simonsen" <mcs@post5.tele.dk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Elitegroup K7S5A - SIS 735 chipset

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 02:31:43 -0700
> From: "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Elitegroup K7S5A - SIS 735 chipset
>

> >Is the K7S5A mainboard and the SIS 735 chipset supported by FreeBSD
> >4.4-STABLE? What about the onboard ide controller? Can I run my hard
> >disks in udma66 or udma100 mode?
> >Any known problems with this mainboard and FreeBSD?
> >
> >Your comments are welcome! Tnx!
>
> I've heard good (performance) things about that chipset, but SiS is
> legendary for making crappy, unreliable, flaky, buggy hardware that drives
> up the support costs of companies selling mobo's based on their chipsets.
> It may work fine, I dunno, but is the $20 you'll have worth your time and
> headache if it doesn't?

According to Toms Hardware Guide the stability of both the SiS730 and
735 is great. The K7S5A received a very good review - here is a small
bit: "the Elitegroup board ran solidly, regardless of the memory timings
I used."

In my experience the K7S5A runs a lot more stable than the Via KT133
based motherboards I have used. The K7SEM runs very well also, if you
need a cheap/small system.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen