Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:25:36 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013973936.cdf25d@mired.org>
To:        Byron Schlemmer <byron.schlemmer@realtime.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting a FujiFilm camera

Byron Schlemmer <byron.schlemmer@realtime.co.uk> types:
> 	I have a FujiFilm FinePix 2800z that I'm trying to access on
> FreeBSD. It uses SmartMedia flash cards. When I plug it in I get the
> following in /var/log/message :
>
> Feb 12 12:42:36 pan /kernel: ugen0: Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd. USB Mass
> Storage, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 7

ugen means it sees the device, but doesn't recognize it as a mass
storage device.

> I then try to mount it using variations of
> 	mount /dev/da0s1 /mnt/camera
> Which results in
> mount: /dev/da0s1: Device not configured

Which is to be expected, as it's not a mass storage device. Here's the
two parts of dmesg for one that works:

umass0: Hagiwara Sys-Com SmartMedia R/W, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 2

da3: <HAGIWARA SmartMedia R/W 2.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device

I.e. - it sees it as a umass device, and then the drive shows up as a
da device. Since there are other SCSI drives in the system, it's da2
and not da0.

> Is this device supported on FreeBSD? I have read the archives an it
> seems folks were having similar problems back in Aug 2001. Have the been
> any advancements since then?
>
> Hints? Directions to kernel source ... ;)

Try compiling all the required parts into the kernel if you haven't:
umass, either uhci or ohci, usb, scbus and da. You could also try
kldloading them, and then using usbd to rescan the bus, and see if
that helps, but I have better luck compiling things in.

If that recognizes it as a umass device and the da device shows up,
you should be set. If it doesn't, then you need to look at
/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/umass.c, and figure out why it isn't
recognized. It may be using proprietary protocol, which means you're
SOL for FreeBSD. But if it works with other OS's using something other
than the manufacturers drivers, it ought to work.

	<mike