Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 2012 17:28:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darrel <levitch@iglou.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   update, [solved]:  journal timestamp

>> An amd64 running fbsd9-RC1 was shutdown overnight from the 'shutdown
>> -p now' command.  It reported an unclean shutdown and I ran 'fsck
>> -y'.  Still it will not boot and the message is "Journal timestamp
>> does not match fs mount time".
>>
>> This is occurring for both /var and /usr.
>>

> Sporadic episodes of dd, mount, fsck and the like produced no results-
> apparently if the journal is out of sync then FreeBSD offers no utility to
> fix it.
>
> With a new disk and install of FreeBSD9 then I could mount ufs /usr read-only
> and copy files to the new installation and then with 'zfs list' created a
> mount-point for the zfs disk and copied those files as well.

Seems like one of the disks was failing.

I decided to use a partition of the large disk; i.e., ada0p9:
# zpool attach bigD /dev/gpt/bigD0 /dev/ada0p9

The first 74g disk is reporting errors:
(146) @ 16:10:30> zpool status bigD

pool: bigD
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The
pool will continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
scan: resilver in progress since Sat Feb 11 15:59:48 2012
     3.82G scanned out of 4.19G at 5.60M/s, 0h1m to go 3.82G resilvered,
     91.02% done
config:
         NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         bigD           ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/bigD0  ONLINE       0     0     1  (resilvering)
             gpt/bigD1  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada0p9     ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)

errors: No known data errors

No data errors, now spread across three disks:

(149) @ 16:14:18> zpool status bigD
pool: bigD
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.
An attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the
errors using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.

scan: resilvered 4.20G in 0h14m with 0 errors on Sat Feb 11 16:14:22
config:
         NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         bigD           ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/bigD0  ONLINE       0     0     1
             gpt/bigD1  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada0p9     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Just in case:

(31) @ 16:16:54> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot \
         -i 1 ada0 bootcode written to ada0

Clear the error, so I can run 'zpool status' again:
(151) @ 16:20:21> zpool clear bigD /dev/gpt/bigD0

(152) @ 16:21:00> zpool status bigD
pool: bigD
state: ONLINE scan: resilvered 4.20G in 0h14m with 0 errors
config:
         NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         bigD           ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/bigD0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/bigD1  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada0p9     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

# shutdown -r now

(29) @ 16:26:10> zpool scrub bigD

The disk is reporting more errors:

(30) @ 16:27:03> zpool status bigD
pool: bigD
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.
An attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the
errors using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.

scan: scrub in progress since Sat Feb 11 16:26:51 2012
     1.16G scanned out of 4.19G at 3.46M/s, 0h14m to go
     120K repaired, 27.76% done
config:
         NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         bigD           ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/bigD0  ONLINE       0     0    19  (repairing)
             gpt/bigD1  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada0p9     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

If the disk fails, the data mirror should still be okay:

A mirror of two or more devices. Data  is  replicated  in  an
                  identical fashion across all components of a mirror.
                  A mirror with N disks of size X can hold X  bytes
                  and  can  withstand (N-1) devices failing before
                  data integrity is compromised.

(33) @ 16:41:14> zpool status bigD
pool: bigD
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.
An  attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the
errors using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.

scan: scrub repaired 638K in 0h14m with 0 errors on Sat Feb 11
  16:41:29 2012
config:
         NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         bigD           ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/bigD0  ONLINE       0     0    44
             gpt/bigD1  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada0p9     ONLINE       0     0     0