Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:26:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        dhw@whistle.com, mirlok@acmail.ab.az
Cc:        jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dns

>Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:55:11 +0500 (AZST)
>From: Mirlok <mirlok@acmail.ab.az>

>And after I change it, how much time should pass before the others will
>see it?

Standard answer number 0:  It depends.

In this case, it depends on when the others cached it, and the value you
had in the TTL of the SOA record.

Or, if you have influence with the right folks (sysadmins, typically, of
the other systems in question), they might be willing to flush their
nameservers caches manually, thus forcing their systems to fetch the
information upon next request.

However, they should do this only after you're certain that any
secondary nameservers have already got the new information; from the
perspective of J. Random System out there, "primary" and "secondary"
nameservers for a given zone are equally authoritative.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621