Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:03:58 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        jsherri1@rochester.rr.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:29:26 -0500 (EST)
> From: jsherri1@rochester.rr.com
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> uname -a now reports \"FreeBSD 4.3-RC\".
>
> Question 1: If 4.3 isn\'t released until April 15th, should I be getting it
> through this process?  (I expected to be on 4.2-STABLE or something
> similar.)
>
> Question 2: Am I just misunderstanding how the supfile works?

See the handbook and FAQ for details. 4.3 will be released next
month. When code-freeze is put into place, the name of the code
changes to BETA. When it looks good to go, it is renamed again to RC
(Release Candidate). If any further changes are needed before release,
you end up with RC2...RCn. The 4-stable branch is now labeled 4.3-RC,
so you have exactly what you asked for. If you wait, it will become
4.3-RC2 shortly and will become 4.3-RELEASE for a very short moment
before the first commit makes it 4.3-stable. (A new tab will be
generated at the RELEASE point which will always return the same
code.)

So 4.2 is ALMOST 4.3 and is labeled 4.3-RC to let you know that it's
VERY close.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)