Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 00:44:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        tcg@ime.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forcing a modem to hangup

> That if it gets fried, can't fry my machine, because like my serial
> ports, it includes optoisolators?

Ahh, but sometimes external modems can cause more problems thatn
internal ones if lighting strikes close enough to cause a current flow
in the serial cable.  A friend of mine took out the UART (?) in his
Amiga every 6 months for 3 years because lightning kept causing a
current flow in his serial line due to magnetics.  We couldn't for the
life of us figure out why for the longest time until he unwrapped the
cable to lay out flat (the excess was wound into a coil) and he didn't
have any problems since.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. :)

Nate