Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:41:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB question

David Heller <dheller1@rochester.rr.com> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > [...]
 > Please find below dmesg output and kernel config. Also note doing "usbd -d
 > -f  /dev/usb0 " gives the following output: /dev/usb0 device not configured.
 > The file is there under /dev/usb0.

This is very strange.  The kernel does not even seem to find
your PCI bus, and therefore it does not try to find any devices
on it (USB controllers are PCI devices).

Your kernel configuration looks OK to me.  (I first suspected
that it was missing "controller pci", but it's there.)  It is
most probably a problem with your mainboard and/or its BIOS,
not with FreeBSD.

What kind of mainboard do you have, and what kind of BIOS does
it have?  Please go to the BIOS setup and check if everything
is OK, in particular the configuration of the PCI bus and any
PCI devices.

Other than that, I have no idea what could causing these kinds
of problems, I'm afraid.  Your `dmesg` output looks like your
mainboard does not have any PCI support at all.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)