Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 23:39:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a news server?

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, matthew c. mead wrote:

> 	Hmm.  The above seems to suggest that the practice of
> mounting async when doing a make work wouldn't help, but I recall
> it making a pretty measurable difference.  What I meant in the

In a make world there are a lot more files being updated (eg. when it
cleans the object tree) than in a kernel make.

> question I asked was, considering that I'm running 2.1.6,
> mounting async probably doesn't make any difference.  Is that the
> case?  Or am I just not testing things that would make any
> difference?  Thanks for the reply!

As I said, making a kernel will not show any big difference; try creating
and removing a large number of files.

say something like:

#!/usr/bin/perl
for ($i = 0; $i < 1000; $i++) {
        open(F, ">test.$i");
        close F;
}
for ($i = 0; $i < 1000; $i++) {
        unlink("test.$i");
}

This gives me 36.62 seconds sync and a drive that sounds like it
is trying to chew on a pengiun vs. 22.99 async and an almost silent
drive.

There would be a bigger difference if:
	- there were other processes competing for the disk; the extra
	  seeks that being mounted sync generates would hurt a lot more.
	- the filesystem wasn't as clean; this was done an an empty,
	  unused filesystem.

As I posted earlier, the feature is there in 2.1.6.  It affects
more things in 2.2 but still has a big impact in 2.1 (I did the
above test on a 2.1-stable box) for the right things.  News is one
of those things.