Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:15:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Hamilton Hoover <hamilton@twopoint.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dual homed gateway system running ipfw and nat. need rules help.

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Hamilton Hoover wrote:

> First, thanks so much for your help so far. The information I have
> learned is invaluable. Should you ever be in my neck of the woods beer
> and pizza are on me.

	Might take you up on that ;-p

> I am so close at this point i can taste it. There are just a few bugs
> left that I am having trouble with. At this point I am still not passing
> mail from the firewall but I can see in various logs what is stopping
> it. I am not sure how to circumvent this.

	What des the logs say.

> my natd.conf reads as follows:
>
> dynamic no
> use_sockets yes
> same_ports yes
> redirect_port tcp 192.x.x.x:25 209.x.x.x:25

	What do your firewall and natd files look like (complete)?

> where 192.x.x.x is the address of the mail server on the private net and
> 209.x.x.x is the address of the public interface of the firewall.
>
> my firewall script has these rules for passing mail. I'm unsure if I
> even need this with the redirect rule in natd.conf but I put it here
> anyway. I have tried commenting it and the results were the same.
>
> ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any 25 to 192.x.x.x 25

	If you are going to use this rule, Make sure this rule occurs
	after the divert statement in the ipfw ruleset.  You shouldn't
	have to use it though.

> I have also tried
>
> ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any 25 to 192.x.x.x 25 via ${iip}
>
> Scanning open ports on the public side of the firewall I noticed that
> only ssh 22 is open. I need to have port 25 open in order for this to
> work right? In rc.conf I have

	No.  The port is taken care of by natd.

> sendmail_enable "NO"
>
> changing this to
>
> sendmail_enable "yes"

	Leave sendmail off.

> produces sendmail relaying denied errors. I'm pretty sure that I don't
> really need sendmail running just to pass itt through the firewall but I
> don't seem to be able to open port 25 without it. Additionally I would
> like the security email sent to myself and that only seems to work if
> sendmail is running.

	Use an alias to forward it to your linux machine.

	I need more specific info like IP addresses and configs.  You can
	email off this list and I'll work with ya on it.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.