Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:26:12 -0500
From:      Tom Uffner <tom@wact.net>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sudden mouse death?

> I walked away from my computer for a while, and when
> I came back, my mouse didn't work.  I'm running X using sysmouse and a
> Mouse Systems PS/2 optical mouse, and it was just dead.. no movement,
> no buttons.  Last time this happened (about two weeks ago), I killed
> moused and restarted it and it worked again - sort of.. about half of
> the button presses were being dropped, and movement was very sluggish,
> so I rebooted.

I've had the same problem with this mouse several times since I started
running 3.0 a few months ago. i haven't seen it since my latest make
world (FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #2: Tue Dec 29 10:18:43 EST 1998), but that
doesn't mean it went away.

i am not running moused or using /dev/sysmouse on this system, since
i only use the mouse from X. when it died, switching to a virtual
console then back to X brought it back, but as you said it seemed to
have lost sync (sluggish movement, button events mostly missed). i
never encountered this problem with an older version of the mouse
systems ps2 optical mouse on another machine running the same kernels.

btw, not that it really matters, but when booting, the system incorrectly
identifies it as a 2 button NetScroll mouse.
--
Tom Uffner                                                 tom@wact.net

Themes were useless! Destiny was here and the foot pedals were bleeding!