Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 11:26:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe <flaboy@gnv.fdt.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Anders Hanssen <andersbsd@bacchus.elanders.no>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuring sendmail to be more anonymous.

Well, here's the output of my sendmail according to the change I pasted to
the list for your .cf file.

yoda:~$ telnet fdt.net 25
Trying 209.212.128.32...
Connected to fdt.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-yoda.fdt.net ESMTP Mail Server.
220-Ready on Sat, 1 May 1999 11:24:32 -0400.
220 Do not spam this site or use it as a relay without explicit
permission!

What it does, is keeps people from immediately seeing what version of
sendmail you have.  In the older days when we had a *sendmail of the week*
it kept down on hacking attempts from kiddies looking for vulernable
versions.

Joe

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I'm curious, why would this be helpful?  If they got to your site, they
> have your IP number, and if they have your IP number, they can use DNS
> to get your site name.  Why stop sendmail from sending that out?
>
> I'm not being fascetious, I'm not a security whiz, and I'm honestly
> curious.

| Joseph Barnhart            |     IRC     | HellSouth Communications      |
| Network / Ops              |  Front Page | http://www.hellsouth.com      |
| Florida Digital Turnpike   |  56k Dialup | AoHELL.Org / www.aohell.org   |
| http://www.fdt.net         |   ISDN  T1  | flaboy@hellsouth.com          |
| http://fdt.net/~flaboy     | Web Hosting | flaboy@aohell.org             |