Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 18:05:49 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: KDE2: make install 'fails' ...

> Scott Blachowicz wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 11:29:11AM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > > I installed kde2 from the port yesterday. One of the problems is
> > > flip-floping from kde-2.x to kde-1.x. It wouldn't be to bad if you
> > > could do a make deinstall from kdk2 and a make reinstall from kde11
> > > and have it work. What you end up having to do is delete them all and
> > > remake from scratch. The only thing you save is the fetching time.
> >
> > Well...I'm trying to do this
> >
> >         cd /usr/ports/x11/kde2
> >         make PREFIX=/usr/X11R6/kde2
> >
> > so I can hopefully flip to kde2 by just altering which kdm I run and
> > adjusting my $PATH value to point at the new dir tree first.  The
> > above has finished, but it looks like the LIB_DEPENDS is shorter than
> > the RUN_DEPENDS for that meta-port...I found that out when I saw that
> > complete successfully and went to go do a 'make install'.  Now it's
> > busy fetching kdebase...
> >
> > Of course, time (and luck) will tell if the above plan will work...
> > :-))
>
> I think this is very important. When you are presented with choices
> such as kde/kde2 and not everything works, you need to be able to get
> it done using the other version. ...

Well, for what it's worth I agree that switching back and forth is
important. Certainly while KDE2 is in development. On the KDE site
there is a page that describes the configuration for running both
and switching back and forth. http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html

I'm not competant enough at this point to set it up, (I haven't even
gotten the kde2 port to work yet) but it would be nice if the kde2
port set things up to make switching easy.

Cla.