Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:18:12 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Rodolfo Gonzalez <rodolfo@equinoxe.g-networks.net>
Cc:        Matt Snow <drama@slakin.net>, Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OFF] Pentium vs Athlon which is better

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 12:10:07PM -0400, Rodolfo Gonzalez wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Matt Snow wrote:
> > > As an addendum, any opinion on components? [motherboard, ram, HD, NIC etc]
>
> There's a small problem with AMD's, you need a very good fan or cooling
> system.

Well, you need a heatsink that's approved by AMD, which is not really a
problem.  Hopefully your server is going to be located somewhere you don't
care about the noise it makes, so you can put some nice big fans in the
case and everything will be fine.

A lot of recent Athlon boards properly support the chip's thermal diode, so
your system will at least shut down safely if your cooling does die.

That said, my Athlon XP 1800+ box runs perfectly happily and almost
silently with a 'flower cooler' http://from www.quietpc.com/  and a couple
of 1500RPM fans.  IMHO this belief that Athlon systems always need extreme
cooling is often overstated; it's probably the fault of all the
overclocking nuts trying to squeeze every last MHz out of their
machines... now you do need some serious cooling to pull that kind of thing
off :-)

Make sure your cooling and power supply are AMD approved, and use
major-brand RAM -- I've personally never had any problems with
Crucial/Micron RAM.

	Scott