Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 02:53:31 +0100
From:      Andrew Prewett <prewett@kronos.HostUniverse.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   Re: SMP motherboard... which one?

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 01:34:56PM +0100, Ernst de Haan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the moment I'm considering buying a dual processor motherboard with 2
> Pentium III's on it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good motherboard
> (or SMP chipset) that will work very well with FreeBSD (4.2-S) ?
>
> I intend to have this system configured as follows:
>
>  * SMP motherboard with 2x Pentium III-800
>  * 256 MB internal memory
>  * On-board SCSI (SCSI-2 U2W LVD or U160) or PCI card (like Adaptec 2940)
>  * 2x Atlas V 9.1 GB (striping and softupdates)
>  * Matrox G400 MAX 32 MB dual-headed with one 19" and one 17" on XFree86 4.0.2
>
> Any suggestions, comments?

Hi,

 we have several Intel L440GX+ (Lancewood) mobo here, which I would
definitelly recommend. The board supports 2x1GHz PIII CPUs and max. 2GB
PC100 RAM. We have absolutelly no problems, issues with this mobo running
FreeBSD 4.0/4.2.

 It has the following onboard components:
  - Adaptec Ultra2/Ultra-Wide dual SCSI (LVD, 40/80 MB/s)
  - Intel 82559 Network Adapter (EtherExpress Pro 100)
  - Cirrus 2MB VGA
  - 6 PCI Slots

 If you want Quantum HD, then look for the new 10K, it's much faster than
the Atlas and really quiet.

	-Andrew