Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:00:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@gilead.acs.rpi.edu>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/35907: Attempts to build mozilla fail (on current?)

The following reply was made to PR ports/35907; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad@gilead.acs.rpi.edu>
To: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 00:55:32 -0400

 On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 12:14  AM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
 > On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 23:42, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
 >> I don't know what's wrong, but I've spent much more than 24 hours
 >> trying to rebuild things in a few dozen different ways, and mozilla
 >> just isn't worth that much of my time.
 >
 > I'll keep looking into it.  Working in tech support by day gives
 > me an undying need to solve problems ;-}.  Thanks for the update.

 Well, I'm also driven to get to the bottom of things which "make no
 sense" to me.  If everyone was reporting this problem, then I probably
 wouldn't have spent any significant time on it myself, because I don't
 really need mozilla for anything.  However, it drove me *nuts* that
 this was consistently happening to me, and yet no one else.

 So, I spent yet another day building, rebooting, removing, adding,
 rearranging, installing, recompiling, and other things.  I have now
 successfully rebuilt mozilla.  You are not going to believe what the
 catalyst is for my problems.

 I use bash as my shell under root.  My .login file checks if
 /usr/local/bin/bash exists, and if so it switches the login from
 csh to bash.  This probably effects a few other things in my
 environment (such as my PATH setting).  I have not pinned down the
 EXACT cause of the problem, but if I change my .login file so it
 does not switch to bash, then I can build mozilla.  Mozilla is the
 only port which needs to be build "from csh" instead of from bash.

 Now that I seem to have *some* answer for this mystery, maybe I can
 finally catch up on my sleep!  Later I'll figure out whether it's
 bash per se, or if it's something else in the environment which
 touches off the problem.  If it isn't bash vs csh, then I expect it
 is a difference in the PATH setting (probably no /usr/local/sbin
 in PATH when I run under bash).

 ---
 Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.acs.rpi.edu
 Senior Systems Programmer           or     gad@FreeBSD.org
 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA