Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:38:58 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        George Sanders <gosand1982@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Gary Gatten <Ggatten@waddell.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I replace the built-in OpenSSL with a source tarball ?

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 09:14:22AM -0700, George Sanders wrote:

> Yes, but I still won't know how to put the new version in _exactly the
> same place_ as the one I just removed.
>
> For complex reasons of space and tools (embedded system, etc.) I do
> indeed need to use the source tarball.
>
> So I'd like to know what configure directive to feed to it to properly
> and _exactly_ replace the existing FreeBSD default OpenSSL...

Not knowing anything more about ones "complex reasons", I suggest giving
serious consideration as to replacing the contents of
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/ with OpenSSL's distribution sources and see
what happens when one makes from /usr/src/secure/usr.bin/openssl/

But before doing that I think serious consideration should be made as to
making what ever embedded customizations one needs to the stock FreeBSD
distribution files. Make your changes then generate patch files as an
archive of the differences.

Or better yet create your own custom fork in CVS, but I don't know how
one would do that and still be able to sync with the official sources.
IIRC there are plans to move the official FreeBSD sources to Subversion,
which might complicate things. Have noticed in recent months cvsup often
must replace rather than update files because checksums do not match.
Guessing that has something to do with svn. http://svn.freebsd.org/

In years past I built a custom embedded FreeBSD out of FreeBSD 4.4 using
only a custom Makefile outside of the /usr/src tree to drive the whole
process. My built started with a clean checkout from my local CVS image
of the official distribution. Don't recall making any code changes that
couldn't be handled as compile defines from the Makefiles. Built into a
chroot space, including selected ports. Then working from a list of
utilities that I wanted in my reduced FreeBSD a script extracted library
dependencies to create another list. Finally a new directory tree was
created of the new system of only the files I wanted and their
dependencies. My system including kernel was under 10 MB. Plus another
10 or 15 MB for Apache, and another 10 MB or so for Perl. Kept a 500 MHz
P3 busy for a while.  :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net