Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 14:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Number of pci busses probed at boot time

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, John W. DeBoskey wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    When I boot my system, the pci init code scans 255 pci busses
> looking for devices (which are found on bus 0 & 1). So, I thought
> I might reduce the number of pci busses probed...

I'm assuming that you're using an SMP machine, however even if you're not
this will probably apply to you. Since you obviously have the kernel
sources, check out the file that should be in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/SMP.GENERIC.  This has an option "NBUS" and a value
following it.  This sets the number of busses that the kernel will probe
for afaik.

>    So, how is the system finding ANY pci busses? The code above
> seems to only return 0 or -1. Could someone enlighten me please?

I haven't checked into the code much, but check into the files that
contain support for your specific chipset. pcisupport.c might be a good
place to start.

- alex