Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:11:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charlie Sorsby <crs@swcp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   compat22

Hello,

I finally decided to bite the bullet and update my 2.1.5 system to
a more recent version.  Because of the graphics card that I
recently replaced when a lightning-induced power surge had its way
with my main board and graphics board, I'd decided to go with 3.4
(from the Walnut Creek CDROM distribution).

I installed it yesterday but (among other glitches) when it tried
to intall Netscape, it barfed and whined about a.out files and that
I need to install compat22 first.

Thinking that I'd missed some optional package during the first
install (and having been unable to back up when I realized that I'd
given the ppp installation the wrong serial port), I re-installed,
paying particular attention to looking for compat22.  It was no
where to be found.

I should have thought that, if the version of Netscape provided in
the distribution required it, it would have been present and the
the installation software would have installed it as a Netscape
dependency as it did for other dependencies for other packages.

What's the story?

And where can I get compat22 (and any other compatibility packages
requires since FreeBSD has begun seriously diverging from real BSD)?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Charlie Sorsby
	crs@swcp.com

PS  I'm sending this from 2.1.5 since I don't yet have ppp working
properly on 3.4--my next order of business, I guess, since I've no
doubt that I'll have to ftp compat22 and its ilk.

PPS Please don't tell me to go to your web site.  Clearly, without
X on 2.1.5 and with Netscape not having installed on 3.4 I'm not in
real good shape for going to web sites.  Yes, I know, I could use
lynx but it's been my experience that few webmasters can be
bothered with those of us who don't use the latest and greatest in
GUI web browsers.