Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:11:54 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Joe <joe@lab.cba.ualr.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail not accepted by freebsd.org

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Joe wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I having trouble sending email freebsd.org from my sendmail
> server. I get the following from my /var/log/maillog file:
>
> Jul 18 09:54:19 team7 sendmail[1613]: JAA01543:
> to=<majordomo@freebsd.org>, ctladdr=<joe@team7.cba.ualr.edu> (1000/1000),
> delay=00:35:42, xdelay=00:00:40, mailer=esmtp, relay=hub.freebsd.org.
> [204.216.27.18], stat=Deferred: 450 <team7.cba>: Host not found
>
> After checking the mailing list archives the only thing I could was
> something about reverse lookups, so I did the following:
>

> team7# nslookup team7.cba freebsd.org
> Server:  hub.FreeBSD.ORG
> Address:  204.216.27.18
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    team7.cba.ualr.edu
> Address:  144.167.120.24
>

> It appears that my host is being seen by freebsd.org but it refuses my
> emails from there. At first I thought that there was something wrong with
> mail server since I'm running current but freebsd.org is the only place
> refusing my emails. Anybody else having the same problem?

team.cba is *NOT* visibile from the 'Net, and hence NOT visible from
freebsd.org. The reason why *you* can see it is because your default
domain has been set to ualr.edu, which gets appended to team7.cba when
you run nslookup.

What you need to do is to tweak your sendmail.cf to set your domain
name to team7.cba.ualr.edu. IIRC, you do this with:

	Djteam7.cba.ualr.edu

somewhere in /etc/sendmail.cf

Jonathan Chen