Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:34:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@sparks.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't mount root after upgrade

Bizzare circumstances here.  I was upgrading a 4.1-RC#2 system to 4.2R to
clear up some userland mismatches.  I would have cvsupped but the system
doesn't have room for sources and buildworld, and I had the CD handy....

To get the right combination of hardware, I temporarily moved the hard
drive from it's 386/33 home (don't laugh, works fine as a dial up
router:) to a K6-200.  Upgrade went smoothly, moved the drive back to the
386 and got:

ata-0-master: ata_command: timeout waitint for intr
ata-0-master: identify failed
no defsw (majordev=0 bootdev=0xa0200000)
no such device 'ad'
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:
                        eg.  ufs:/dev/da0s1a
?                    List valid disk boot devices
<empty line>         Abort manual input

mountroot>

If I move the drive back to the K6 it works fine.  Only on the 386 does it
not work.  I checked the archives and verified that I do have:

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives

in the config file which has been recompiled and installed.  I get the
same error on the upgrade installed generic kernel.  The problem is only
coming up with the 386:(

Suggestions most welcome:)

--- David