Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:37:32 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: #freebsd-newbies

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 10:03:20PM -0400, Malartre wrote:

> *brain-dead* newbies as in the mail on hackers@freebsd.org

Get used to it, until we can *demonstrate* that they are wrong
(or right, hehe)

> Sue, your a very logic person :-)

I've been reading man pages too long :-)

> I will answer your question (if i find the mail, I will try)
> Well, a channel need to start somewhere.

There might be more people happy about us being on irc.bsdnet.org than
you think. It all depends on how we handle it.

Their main concerns seem to be:
1. Newbies might ask questions in channels where people don't want
   to answer questions. This feeling is very strong! We would have
   to make sure that didn't happen. If we can help to keep newbies
   out of the other channels by being there, they would be pleased.
2. Newbies will tell each other the wrong advice, and give FreeBSD
   a bad name. Nobody is available to help newbies, and if a newbie
   can't get an answer there is no other channel to send them to.

Some people say that there's a lot of brain-dead newbies on efnet already
and we should go there, but I get the impression newbies are not treated
very well on efnet. Does anyone have experience?

If we take up residence on irc.bsdnet.org and after that newbies go to
the wrong channel asking for help, we will be called names much worse
than "brain-dead". We could prove them wrong. It could be a very good
place or very bad, depending on how we do it. Do you think you could
convince other newbies to stay in their channel? Would they want to?
What are you offering them?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-