Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:20:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        Mark Kent <mark@noc.mainstreet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xwin32

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Mark Kent wrote:

> == Did you allow yourself in to your account via rsh?
Yes, I have now in my .rhosts file the computer name I am trying to xwin
from on my local network.

> Which is a good question...  you (David) should separate potential
> xwin32 issues from other issues.  If you allow telnet into the freebsd
> box then telnet in from the win box and do
>
> setenv DISPLAY x.y.z.w:0.0
> xterm
>
> where x.y.z.w is your win box IP address.
> If that doesn't work then make sure you are
> actually running xwin32 on the win box...
I'm not exactly sure what this does other then storing the remote IP into
a var DISPLAY.

What's happening is X is starting on the server, I can see it running
under top. But all I get in the messages window after all of the usual X
startup stuff is

"using filler
Colortype 2 is not rgb/alpha
couldn't allocate: background, using White instead"

Nothing ever shows up in xwin. And, I keep having to reboot because I'm
not sure what to kill to stop X in my ssh window.

David
doc@wcug.wwu.edu
Washington State Resident
ICQ 21106703