Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 10:41:11 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "John J. Paner" <jpaner@paradox.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: multi ethernet cards - Now I'm really confused!

From: John J. Paner <jpaner@paradox.net>
> I spent some time reading up on adding a second nic to my system and I
read
> that I would have to recompile the kernel.  I was just playing with it
when
> I realized that the system detected the second card, although there was no
> reference to fxp1 in the conf file.
>
> Why is this?

PCI ethernet cards are automatically detected by the kernel, and do not
require the kernel to be recompiled.

> Do I only need to worry about this after two nics?

Depends on if you add another fxp PCI Ethernet card or a ISA Ethernet card.
With the ISA Ethernet card, you have to tell the kernel the IRQ and address
the Ethernet driver will be using and recompile the kernel.

Scot