Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:48:43 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Jon" <jon@state.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Single User mode / Automating 'make world' and kernel config.

>Is there anyway to invoke shutdown(8), set some kind of flag somewhere,
>send something to init(8), or make an entry in /etc/rc.shutdown that
>could take a system running multi-user down to single user & have it so
>the console doesn't need a prompt for root's shell (the console is setup
>as secure, so no password), and default to /bin/sh, which is the
>multi-user root shell.
>
>My grandiose plan is to automate a 'make world' and a kernel rebuild on
>my home machines.  This isn't for a production, and I understand that
>such a delicate operation should have the sysadmin right at the console,
>but I'm lazy :)
>
>Have anyone else tried this out?

This isn't really an answer to your question, but I've had luck doing 'make
buildworld' and 'make installworld' both in multiuser mode, followed by
mergemaster, kernel build, *then* reboot. Worked fine.

I wouldn't try this on a production machine, but on an (expendable)
lightly-loaded home machine, it's worth a try...

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor
On Matters of Most Grave Concern