Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:05:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/porters-handbook book.sgml

>   (2) Explicitly allow using things other than the "split" sequence (aa,
>       ab, ac...) in patchfile names, in particular those that represent
>       the names of the files being patched.

I want to re-propose my adaptation of OpenBSD's update-patches script.
It was last discussed in the "New rules for naming patches" thread.  Will
Andrews requested that I add a way to have it generate patches with
shorter names.  I haven't done that, but I feel that it's not needed
because porters can rename the patches manually, after which the script
will respect the names they chose.  Also, I'm not proposing that use of
the script be required:  if it spits out names that violate your personal
FILENAME_MAX, only use it for changes to existing patches, not new
ones--or don't use it at all.

I've put it at http://people.freebsd.org/~trevor/ports/update-patches.diff
.

It requires a target in bsd.port.mk.

It works with both the old and new layouts.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt