Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:44:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl-fbquestions@buz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: good book on UNIX TCP/IP socket programming in C++?

On Tuesday, 27 March 2001 at 19:36:22 +0200, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> I know that this is a bit off topic but still, I think the audience
> is probably a pretty good one to ask this: I'm looking for a good
> book on UNIX TCP/IP socket programming in C++.

It looks as if you're looking for two completely different books here.
I'm pretty sure that you won't find a book about TCP/IP specifically
relating to C++.

> It doesn't have to cover stuff like what OO is (I know it from
> Python which by far nicer to code in, IMHO ;-) but some discussion
> of pointers and references wouldn't hurt (is Stroustrup any good on
> this? If yes, I'm probably willing to buy two books).

Yes, Stroustrup goes into nauseating detail about this sort of thing.
If you can understand it, it's worth buying the book, but it's very
technical.

> Language may either be English or German (no clear preference as
> many German translations are pretty horrible). Some coverage of
> interaction with the system itself (ioctls etc) would be nice as
> well.

That's a third book.

> Any good recommendations (no, I don't want to learn C)?

I'd recommend you learn C.  If you don't know C, you can't hope to
understand C++, TCP/IP or ioctls.  Apart from that, Stevens for the
TCP/IP book.

> Or any other widely used programming languages with acceptable
> speed?

C.

> I want to implement a monitoring system for our network. Now while
> the one I made in Python works just fine, it's is horribly slow
> (which I largely attribute to the fact that Python's URLLIB is
> implemented in Python since my own code is far less resource
> intensive than that one).  I now hope to either rewrite the core
> modules in C++ or reimplement the whole thing in it.

JOOI, what do you hope to get out of C++ that you can't get out of C?

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.