Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 1996 04:20:35 EST
From:      n1epo4tl@ibmmail.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade to 2.1

Hi hackers,

at the week-end I inadvertantly upgraded from 2.0.5 to 2.1.  Firstly
congratulations on an upgrade procedure which went quite smoothly, even
for an idiot like me.  I thought you might be interested in a few
points which I noted during the upgrade:

1) Note I said inadvertantly.  I didn't actually intend to do it.  I
had created the boot disk and booted from it to test it in preparation
for upgrading later when I had more time.  I intended to abort the
update procedure at the point where it said "do you really want to
continue?  This is the last chance to say no before your disk gets
irretrievably overwritten", or some such thing.  It didn't (unless I
blinked and missed it).  I decided to let it continue rather than end
up with a half-updated system - not exactly the safest thing to do when
the distribution is a disk of a tape of a sup of a goodness knows what
that I got from Julian.  But it seems to have worked.

2) During the update, it complained that it couldn't find proflibs.
I don't know whether there isn't one, or whether Julian just doesn't
have one.

3) I thought it said it would back up /etc in /usr/tmp/etc.  When I
looked, /usr/tmp/etc contained the new files as did /etc.  So all my
changes got lost.  Fortunately, there weren't many of them.

Stuart Arnold