Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:30:21 -0400
From:      pippo@bellnet.ca
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mergemaster problem

At 10:01 AM 10/22/2002 -0700, you wrote:
I must say, as I often have remarked, that the handbook is rather foggy -
you often have to read a whole slew of things that are urelated before you
get to the main point - I was trying to follow the manual, step by step -
but it sure doesn't seem to work quite that way. :((
I did vipw with the restored backed-up files and now I have passwd and will
probably be ok.
So, as I understand it, I should just run make buildwold from /usr/src,
then build the new kernel and then do make installworld, then update the
files not updated by make world etc, etc. as in the handbook.
That, then, will upgrade my system to 4.7. Right?
As I need no changes to the programs I have installed (they're all
up-to-date with portupgrade), I should just verify that the /etc/group,
passwd and master.passwd files are conforming to the newer version. And
this, as I understand, can be done by the mergemaster.

Thanks much.
PJ