Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:09:54 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Producing non-GPLed tools for FreeBSD

At 12:00 PM 10/19/98 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

>libbfd is the binary file descriptor library; it contains primitives
>for reading and writing the various file formats that binutils
>supports.  as, ld and ar all use it for manipulating their files.

Hmm. I could write some code that used it to generate samples, then
emulate what it did. Awkward, though. And a shame that I'd have
to reinvent the wheel. That's what open source software is supposed
to avoid!

>ELF objects are documented int the ELF documentation.

Will have to look at these docs....

>I suspect that Cygnus may have some documentation on the behaviour of
>GCC on the i386.  You would have to talk to them about that.

Well, John Gilmore, founder of Cygnus, once refused to give me
ANY help or information if the product of my work was not to be
GPLed, so I'm not optimistic. But I suppose I could try.

--Brett