Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:40:40 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        lawrence.hy.cheung@philips.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape & "libXt.so.6.0"

-On [20000119 04:01], lawrence.hy.cheung@philips.com (lawrence.hy.cheung@philips.com) wrote:
>Two days before, I installed a fresh FreeBSD 3.1-Release from offical
>CD-ROM, and then cvsup it as 3.4-STABLE via my low speed 56kps line. I
>didn't install the old verion of XFree86 of course. I want to run
>XFree86 3.3.6!
>
>At first I install XFree86 3.3.6 by 3.4-STABLE's sysinstall but fail.
>(I discover there is only XFree86 3.3.5 package at
>ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/release/i386/3.4-RELEASE).

Which is kinda logical.

>Despite to my low speed line, I cannot help to install 3.3.6 by XFree86
>binary distribution method but not by FreeBSD ports method. I do not
>want to wait 2 hours to download two big src.tar.gz and then wait 1.5
>hours again to compile it as well as taking with the risk of failure.

Well, it is the preferred way prior to when packages are available.  And
I have yet to see XFree86's make world die on me, and that's all
releases in the 3.x series.

>So I download any X*.tar.gz I need at ftp.cdrom/com/ pub/XFree86 and
>install it mannually by

[snip]

>This only take 40min. to complete.
>
>After that, my XFree86 3.3.6 works with no problems until running
>netscape 4.7 navigator. When I launch netscape, it refuse with a error
>message "ld.so -- cannot find libXt.so.6.0"  That is ture , my system
>really have not "libXt.so.6.0" .  At the directory /usr/X11R6/lib, I
>only found libXt.so.6 and it's soft link libXt.so. I try soft link
>"libXt.so.6" to "libXt.so.6.0" but not success.  Now I have no gui
>brower. No matter which native freebsd netscape version I choose from
>ports, the result is the same. May you help me? I need netscape to
>brower english & chinese web page in X.

Well since it asks for libXt.so.6.0 I am assuming that you don't have
a.out libraries installed for XFree and those are needed for Netscape.
So I think you do have to wait until the package gets build by Satoshi
Asami or make it from ports.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd W/Asmodai         asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/B-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best