Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:44:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting old PC to boot from new(er) IDE disk??!?

Somewhat over 2 years ago, I bought a used PC for use as a firewall system,
in anticipation of the DSL connection.  Since this was shortly after the
1999 USENIX, I used the 3.2-RELEASE CD that I got there.

All in all, it has (generally) served me well, despite a disk drive
failure.  (The failed drive was replaced with a 0.5G drive which has run
since that time, after restoring the data from backups.)  I also used
the same CD to put together a machine to provide various services.

Earlier this year, I bought a laptop, which I used as an excuse to
experiment with using multiple boot slices.  (I run both -STABLE and
-CURRENT on the laptop, depending on circumstances.)  More recently, I
put together a "build machine", where I repeated the "multiple boot
slices" approach.  (Again, I track, build & run both -STABLE & -CURRENT
on it.)

With the build machine in place, I picked up a new disk drive, and built
up a new drive for the above-mentioned server.  (Side note on this below.)
About 3 weeks ago, I deployed that new drive; the system was then
running FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE.  Last weekend, I used the "other bootable
slice" to "clone" the running one, then upgraded that to 4.4-RC (after
having tracked -STABLE daily on the build machine & my laptop).  All
this is going well:  I expect to be upgrading it about every other week
(while continuing to track -STABLE daily on my laptop & the build
machine).

Fortified by this success, I decided to use the old disk drive from the
server as the new drive for the firewall.  Accordingly, I carved it into
slices, and set up, then populated the file systems.  One of the
bootable slices was a copy of the exitsing 3.2-R; the other was
4.4-STABLE.

I took the (firewall) machine down, replaced the disk drive, re-booted,
and...

	...nothing.

The machine recognizes that there's a drive -- the only drive on any IDE
controller, and it's primary.  It even sees that there are a couple of
bootable slices, but hitting any of F1, F2, or Enter just results in a
beep.  It won't boot.

I tried putting the "new" drive back on the build machine, and went
through the sequence (F5/F1 & F5/F2) to boot from the new drive.
(Single user mode, to be sure -- but at least it recognized the
possibility & booted.)

Oh:  that "side note" -- I actually had tried upgrading the firewall
machine first, but it wouldn't boot from that new drive -- same symptoms
as above.

So at this point, I think I would be fairly described as "exasperated".

What resources exist to help me figure out what is going on here?  I
really don't like having the firewall machine down; that impairs
connectivity.  :-(

In case it isn't obvious, I'm not real familiar with PCs; nearly all my
experience with them has been in the last 3.5 years, and that is just
running FreeBSD.

Help?

Thanks,
david

Help?

Thanks,
david
--
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal