Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:55:21 +0100
From:      "sysadmin@mfn.org" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'-Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   rdist oddity

Greets...

	Added a server last night, and when we ran our daily
rdist, we got "Permission Denied" from that host.  I can't figure
out *why*...  In the process of trying to figure this out, I have:

(1) Enabled *every* r-service in inetd.conf
(2) Put world-write and read on every file and directory in the box (no,
I don't plan to leave it this way :)
(3) Made sure that RDIST was running as root
(4) Pulled out lots and lots of hairs....   :(

	To top it off: this guy doesn't "get" NIS.  I get the proper
*is* running, but it won't login anyone not in the local passwd file!
(Yes, /etc/host.conf has NIS enabled)...

	These two have just got to be related...  And I'm sure I'm
missing something really simple, but...

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org