Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:55:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        darin@slovitt.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limits Problems ...

> I've had this ever since the beginning of summer or thereabouts when i
> put -current on this toshiba 660cdt laptop.  when i reported this, all
> i got were a lot of "that's what you get when you run -current"
> messages, and a couple of potentially useful messages stating that it
> might be caused by the apm counters.

----> IT'S NOT APM.

This happens on a box I have that wouldn't know an APM if it ran
up and bit it on the ass.  The box was designed prior to APM existing.

----> IT'S NOT A BUGGY 486 L2 CACHE.

This box doesn't *have* an L2 cache.

----> IT'S NOT A BUGGY 486 L1 CACHE.

This box's 486 stepping postdates the 486 L1 cache problems, but
to be on the safe side, I wrote the configuration register and
*turned the L1 cache off*.

THE PROBLEM DOES NOT EXIST IN 2.2.5.

> i have heard nothing more about this, the problem has never been
> fixed, and is now going into -RELEASE.
>
> and to the jerks who gave the "that's what you get when you run
> -current" answers originally, -current is also for reporting problems
> such as these so they don't get into -release...
>
> i know people have a lot to discuss, such as x and y chromosomes, and
> very little time for stuff like this.

The "monoclock" is going backwards.

There are quotes here, since real monoclocks, by definition, *can't*
go backwards (the "mono" stands for "monotonically increasing", and
going backwards involves *decreasing*).

I don't care if APM kicks in, and the laptop is in suspend mode
for 10 frigging *years*, the value from the monoclock at the time
the process is started can *NEVER* *NEVER* *EVER* exceed the
current monoclock time.  This is a DEFINITION.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.