Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:45:40 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: odd scsi behaviour.

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Scott Long wrote:
>
>> Julian Elischer wrote:
>>

>>> A new raid array has teh following odd behaviour.
>>>
>>> 1/ old array in same spot worked.
>>> 2/ new array shows up in adaptec bios
>>> 3/ FreeBSD finds NOTHING on scsi bus.
>>>
>>> any suggestions as to how to convince FreeBSD to find the device?
>>> (target 1 LUN 0)
>>>
>>> Bios and device set to 80MB/s
>>> 160MB/s acts the same
>>>
>>> Julian
>>>

>> Uh, what controller are you talking about?
>

> it's a adaptec 29160
> the disk is a chaparral raid, and the on eits replacing was a chaparral
> raid..
>
> the bios sees it and reports back various info about it
> but freebsd doesn't even find it on the bus.

Maybe the chaparral box isn't responding to our scsi probe correctly.
have you tried turning on scsi debugging and seeing what that shows?
I haven't played with a chaparral box in several years, so I have no
idea what their design is based on these days.  They might have switched
to a really poor/buggy scsi target emulation package.

Scott