Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:50:43 -0500
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory

On Apr 20, at 02:59 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Jan Grant wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Calvin NG wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > >   I believe when people say copy rc.conf from /etc/defaults/ into
> > >   /etc/, and go throught it line by line, they really mean,
> > >   1) copy rc.conf from /etc/defaults/  to /etc/
> > >   2) go through it line by line, deleting every line that you want
> > >      leave as default.  Make changes to the site specific stuff,
> > >      like  sshd_enable=YES
> > >
> > >   At the end of the whole exercise, you will get that small rc.conf
> > >   again that is tailored to your server's need.
>
> 	That is indeed what I intended, if I did not make myself clear, I
> apologize. My rc.conf file on my gateway/mail server/file server box has
> 57 lines. My crash box has 26, about half of which are there just because
> I test /etc/rc* stuff a lot. /etc/defaults/rc.conf has 250+ variables.

OK. Thanks for the confirmation.

> > Yes; however, I'd rather do this once at install time than after every
> > buildworld.
>
> 	You should only have to do it once. Just do it for everything that
> you care about.

OK, this is one thing I'm still unclear about. "Do it once" when? After
a new install, and 'sysinstall' is done with it? Once after an upgrade?
Once after every upgrade, or just once after a new install?

How does this differ from current (i.e., 4.5-REL) practice? I'm still
at a loss as to how what you're prescribing is different from past and
present practices, given what [little] I've learned about your change
since my first post.

> > Maybe (I always review changes with mergemaster), but it's a reasonable
> > assumption that existing default switches stay the same along a -stable
> > track, so don't "blame" yourself too much.
>
> 	Well, more and more people have expressed this same opinion.
> gshapiro already reverted the sendmail change, so the one left to discuss
> is inetd. At this point changing the default back seems to be the most
> reasonable course of action, even though everything in /etc/inetd.conf is
> off by default.

I honestly didn't notice whether 'inetd' was on or off by default in
4.5-REL; I told 'sysinstall' to do no networking at all, preferring to
set it up manually after the new install.

Is your change going to alter things to the point where I won't "be at
home" doing this, should I choose to?

FWIW, I don't run inetd on most systems. Nothing in there I usually want
enabled, but a lot of folk might, for 'ftpd', if nothing else, so this
isn't an issue for me [usually, but it might be?].

I'm almost with you, just tolerate me a little bit longer,
Dave

--