Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:23:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Charlie Sorsby <crs@swcp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compat22

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Charlie Sorsby wrote:

> Thinking that I'd missed some optional package during the first
> install (and having been unable to back up when I realized that I'd
> given the ppp installation the wrong serial port), I re-installed,
> paying particular attention to looking for compat22.  It was no where
> to be found.

From the sysinstall installation menu, it's found under the Configure
option on the main menu, then the Distributions option on the Configure
menu.  This is from the 4.x menu, as it's the oldest one I have handy, but
I don't recall the 3.x version being that much different...

> I should have thought that, if the version of Netscape provided in the
> distribution required it, it would have been present and the the
> installation software would have installed it as a Netscape dependency
> as it did for other dependencies for other packages.

Sounds to me more like you've got some old bits of Netscape laying around
that haven't been updated.  3.x onwards use ELF as opposed to the a.out
used in 2.x and earlier.

> PPS Please don't tell me to go to your web site.  Clearly, without X
> on 2.1.5 and with Netscape not having installed on 3.4 I'm not in real
> good shape for going to web sites.  Yes, I know, I could use lynx but
> it's been my experience that few webmasters can be bothered with those
> of us who don't use the latest and greatest in GUI web browsers.

Have you actually tried it before blowing it off?  I just did a quick
browse through and it looks like it's been formatted with Lynx in mind.
Better in Netscape of course, but still perfectly readable and browseable
in Lynx.

HTH.

Ken