Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 02:19:59 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        hawky/Hawksmom <hawk2@netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am still having modem problems

hawky/Hawksmom wrote:

> should it still be tun0 tun1 or do these numbers not mean the same as the
> si0* and cuaaa*?

It'll stay as tun0.

> > > sio0 not found at 0x3f8
> > > sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
> > > sio1: type 16550A
> >
> > You have a modem on com2 and no com1 at all?

This seems strange to me! I haven't really been following this though.

Internal modem I _assume_.

What kind of Serial IO board do have?
What ports are enabled/disabled on it? (Are you PHYSICALLY sure)

To be honest it sounds to me like com1 is disabled and com2 is not
disabled on your io board!
But your modem is set for com2. thus a conflict!
My suggestion is to make sure com1 on the IO board is _enabled_ and
com2 is _disabled_.
Then set your modem for com2.

Access it via /dev/cuaa1.

Not to start a war, But It's been my experiance that modems don't
like odd port numbers! Technically I don't see how that could
be, But Many times have I moved a modem from com1/com3 to com2/com4
on systems that act weird only to find that the problem dissapears!
Of course this is Dos/Winbloze experiance!

Does your modem have switches assessable<sp?> externally?
I have seen them get bumped while pluggin in the PH line!

I have made it a pratice in my business to put tape over these
access holes to prevent customers from blindly sticking thier PH
line in them and trashing the switch settings.

Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848