Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2006 17:31:15 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-2?Q?Jos=E9_M=2E?= Fandi?o <freebsd4@fadesa.es>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM_RAID3: Device datos is broken, too few valid components

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:58:51PM +0200, Jos=E9 M. Fandi?o wrote:
+> Hello list,
+>=20
+>  Last night one disk of my desktop machine dead causing a hard lock of t=
he
+> computer. It was a component of a mirror volume so it wasn't as serious =
as=20
+> it initially looked.=20
+>=20
+>  Unfortunately, the metadata structure of my data partition (a geom raid=
3=20
+> array with tree components	) seems to be corrupted by this hard lock,=20
+> the following message is scrolled constantly on the screen:
+>=20
+> GEOM_RAID3: Device datos created (id=3D3217021940).
+> GEOM_RAID3: Device datos: provider ad6s2 detected.
+> GEOM_RAID3: Device datos: provider ad5s2 detected.
+> GEOM_RAID3: Device datos: provider ad4s2 detected.
+> GEOM_RAID3: Component ad6s2 (device datos) broken, skipping.
+> GEOM_RAID3: Component ad4s2 (device datos) broken, skipping.
+> GEOM_RAID3: Device datos is broken, too few valid components.
+> GEOM_RAID3: Device datos destroyed.
+>=20
+> Checking the search engine results it isn't a very usual problem, the ad=
vice=20
+> in the returned hits is rerunning "graid label -h datos ad4s2 ad5s2 ad6s=
2",
+> but before of erasing all my data I would like to ask to list members.=
=20
+>=20
+> How dangerous is running the mentioned command in this context?

You should be safe as long as the order of slices you give here is the
same as it was when device was initially labeled.
Of course (as I understand) one of those broken components was really
broken, right? If yes, you should 'graid3 rebuild' it immediatelly after
'label' command. If no, you should still rebuild one of them after
labeling it.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1