Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 11:39:56 -0500
From:      Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        Rob King <jking@pernet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDM, KDM, PAM, FreeBSD, and a partridge in a pear tree...

(Follow-ups redirected to freebsd-stable)

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 05:56:13AM -0600, Rob King wrote:

> Here's the problem: I'm running a fresh install of 3.3-STABLE, and trying to
> get the nice graphical login, with either XDM or KDM. Unfortunantly, I get an
> 'incorrect password' error no matter what I type. I also get a "pam: no
> modules loaded for xdm service" or kdm service, depending. I have a line in my
> /etc/pam.conf:
>
> xdm	auth	required	pam_unix.so		try_first_pass
>
> Unfortunantly, no matter what happens, neither KDM nor XDM will recognize me.
> Any ideas, anyone?

Have you tweaked your /etc/pam.conf?  My copy of /etc/pam.conf doesn't have
an xdm line and I login via XDM all the time.  I'm using /etc/pam.conf version
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.conf,v 1.1 1998/11/20 23:20:01 jdp Exp $
which is the most recent version on the RELENG_3 branch. (FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE)
From looking at the tags on the file, this file hasn't changed since at least
3.1.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville