Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:45:38 -0400
From:      "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Zavam,_Vin=EDcius?=" <egypcio@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPUTYPE in general - was Re: Which CPUTYPE for a dualcore Xeon on AMD64

2007/6/26, Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > In <4680895A.5060700@u.washington.edu>, Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.wash=
ington.edu> typed:

> >> Cedar Mill: Last P4 processor. Followup to Prescott.
> >> Nocona: Xeon server processor code name -- first CPU with EMT64 (amd64=
)
> >> compatibility [and hence first non-IA64 bit Xeon processor to feature
> >> 64-bit compatibility; not sure if it was the first non-IA64 64-bit
> >> designed Intel processor].
> >> Prescott: Single-core processor with HTT. Base CPU for [later
> >> generation] P4 processors, and the dual core Pentium D [basically the
> >> larger cousin of the Northwood CPUs]. Prescott was compacted into Ceda=
> >> Mill -- from a 90nm (?) process to 65nm.
> >>

> > From what I can tell, the Prescott went through a number of
> > iterations; the first of them didn't have HTT, or had it but it was
> > disabled. Later versions added that, EMT64, virtualization, and other
> > things. If my information is correct, the nocona was the first version
> > of the prescott core with em64t, and only used in Xeons.
> >
> There was a big difference between the Prescott CPU core and the Nocona
> core though, in terms of technology (Pentium 4 vs Core/Core2).
> Apparently the pipelines for the CPU were similar for the desktop CPU
> though, some have claimed. I haven't looked at the RTL though, so I
> can't be sure for myself whether or not that's the case.
> > And yes, I believe prescott and following were 90nm until Cedar Mill.
> >
> Ok, that's what I thought (since fab screen size goes by 15nm each time
> nowadays).
> >>     Intel suggests using -march=3Dprescott (32-bit) and -march=3Dnocon=
> >> (64-bit) with gcc on Core2Duo processors and equivalent Xeons.
> >>

> > Note that /usr/share/mk/sys.mk includes bsd.mk.cpu, which overrides
> > CPUTYPE if it's set to prescott or nocona. It turns nocona into
> > prescott if you're building for i386 and prescott into nocona if
> > you're building for amd64. So the correct answer to the question "Do I
> > set CPUTYPE to nocona or prescott in /etc/make.conf?" would seem to be
> > "It doesn't matter."
> Hmmm... interesting.. Seems like a bit ambitious for bsd.mk.cpu, if the u=
ser knows what they're doing.

> >>     You can also find your CPU's type by going to this page:
> >> http://www.intel.com/products/server/processors/index.htm?iid=3Dserv_b=
ody+proc,
> >> and searching for the appropriate model number. Your frequency and mod=
el
> >> should be reported in your BIOS, if not the first couple lines of dmes=
> >> in FreeBSD.
> >>

> > I've never seen those report core names. Possibly you're referring
> > specifically to the Xeon cpu model numbers?
> >
> Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.
> -Garrett

please correct me if I'm wrong, but gcc(1) can help us a bit also;
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dgcc&sektion=3D1&format=3Dhtml

z.B.:
"
(...)
prescott
       Improved version of Intel Pentium4 CPU with MMX, SSE, SSE2 and
       SSE3 instruction set support.

nocona
       Improved version of Intel Pentium4 CPU with 64-bit extensions,
       MMX, SSE, SSE2 and SSE3 instruction set support.

       (...)
athlon-4, athlon-xp, athlon-mp
       Improved AMD Athlon CPU with MMX, 3dNOW!, enhanced 3dNOW! and
       full SSE instruction set support.

k8, opteron, athlon64, athlon-fx
       AMD K8 core based CPUs with x86-64 instruction set support.
       (This supersets MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3dNOW!, enhanced 3dNOW! and
       64-bit instruction set extensions.)
(...)
"

--=20