Date:      Fri, 22 May 2009 05:02:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
To:        pieter@degoeje.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: will Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA ever be supported?

     On Fri, 22 May 2009 00:00:19 +0200 Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
wrote:
>On Thursday 21 May 2009 12:11:27 Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      Looking at the release notes for 7.2-RELEASE, I still don't see any
>> mention of support for the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA card.  Do any
>> of the developers know whether there is any plan ever to support this card?
>> I've been waiting and hoping for over three years already, but haven't seen
>> any news other than "No, there's no driver support for in in FreeBSD
>> [67].x". Thanks in advance for any information on this matter.
>
>I assume you've tried both the snd_emu10k1 and the snd_emu10kx drivers.

     I had hoped to install 7.2-RELEASE a few days ago, but will probably not
get to it now until this weekend.  In the meantime, I'm still running 6.3.
In 6.x, if snd_emu10k1_load="YES" is present in /boot/loader.conf, the kernel
fails during driver initialization.  snd_emu10kx does not exist in 6.x.  Is
there some undocumented support for this card in 7.2?

>You should be able to get your sound card working by installing 4Front's OSS
>driver:
>http://www.opensound.com/oss.html

     Thank you *very* much!  I just downloaded the FreeBSD .tbz file and the
installation guide.  I'll probably still give the native drivers a trial first,
but if they don't work, then I'll try this one.  I had no idea that the Open
Sound project existed, so thanks again.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG